Advent Week 1
Dear St. Stephen’s church family,
Blessings on this beautiful day in Advent.
Parish news for the week:
- Christmas Pageant practices continue! The children and youth will be presenting a Christmas pageant on Sunday, December 22nd during the 10:30 am service. Plan to attend, and bring a friend to hear the story of Christ’s birth told by our church school.
- Saint Nicholas Day youth group evening of service, Friday, December 6th, 6:30-9. All children welcome. We will play games, watch a video and have fun together. Parents, have a night out.
- Advent Readings, Reflections and Prayers—Saturdays at 12:15. All are welcome to come and spend some time preparing your hearts for this holy season, (supporting our student intern). Led by the Rev. John Chuol.
- Thank you to all who have taken a gift tag for children living at Adele House. Please return gift with tag by December 15th so we can deliver them.
- Offering envelopes for 2020 are now available in the Mitchell Hall. Thank you to all who faithfully support the work and ministry of our parish. Also, please check your mailboxes for the latest edition of the Scroll and for any other mail you may have. Look for new parish directories coming out soon.
- Christmas Services:
Christmas Eve potluck supper at 6 pm. Sign up in Mitchell Hall
Christmas Eve Candlelight service 7:30 pm
Christmas Day service 11 am
New Year’s Day service/the naming of Jesus: 11 am
Parish Cycle of Prayer:
Throughout December let us pray for all of the groups and ministries that meet in our church building. Let’s pray for those who come to AA, for the Ethiopian Fellowship group, for the work of L’Arche and their board, for Extendicare as they continue education and learning, for the board of Camp Okema and all campers and families, and for all others who come and go through our doors. May God richly bless them.
For our church family: Eleanor and family and Karen W and family.
The Collect for the first week in Advent (BCP): Almighty God, give us grace that we may cast away the works of darkness, and put upon us the armour of light, now in the time of this mortal life, in which thy Son Jesus Christ came to visit us in great humility; that in the last day, when he shall come again in his glorious Majesty, to judge both the quick and the dead, we may rise to the life immortal; through him who lives and reigns with Thee and the Holy Spirit, now and ever. Amen.
In Christ’s peace,
The Rev. Amy <><