The First Week of October
Dear St. Stephen’s church family,
Love and blessings on the first day of October!
Some parish news:
- Thank you to all who organized the yummy lunch on this past Sunday. It was a good time of food and fellowship, St. Stephen’s style.
2. Synod takes place this weekend-Thursday-Saturday. Ruth Skinner, Margaret Rouhani, Chris Wood and Amy are delegates.
3. Fall Supper tickets are sold out!
4. Please consider bringing an item for the foodbank on Thanksgiving Sunday, October 13th. Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! His steadfast love endures forever. (Psalm 107:1)
5. Mark your calendars for the Youth Coffee House on Friday, October 17th at 7 pm. All welcome to come and hear/experience a youth led evening of entertainment.
6. Marriage Refresh: The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman, presented by parishioners Laurence and Anne Wong. Several people have jokingly told me that they didn’t need to come to marriage classes because they had so much experience, they could be teaching it! Seriously, all are welcome, in any stage of married life. The program takes place on Sunday evenings, 6:30-8:30 beginning on October 20th. Consider inviting friends!
Parish Cycle of Prayer:
For the month of October, we pray for the neighbourhood surrounding St. Stephen’s church building. We pray for those living close by who may be struggling, for new families, for Christians and churches, for those of other religions or no religion. May we continue to listen to the Spirit’s leading as we seek ways to love and serve those around us and share the gospel in word and deed. Amen.
We pray for: Coreen and Brian with Brendan and Scott, and for Paul and Christine with Rachel, and their families.
It is the feast day of St. Francis of Assisi on Friday, October 4rth.
The following excerpt is from a prayer attributed to Francis, and written in approximately 1225:
Most High, all powerful, good Lord, yours are the praises, the glory, the honour and all blessing. To you alone, Most High, do they belong and no human is worthy to mention your name.
Praised be you, my Lord, with all your creatures, especially Sir Brother Sun, who is the day and through whom you give us light. And he is beautiful and radiant with great splendour; and bears a likeness of you, Most High One.
Praised be you, my Lord, through Sister Moon and the stars: in heaven you formed them clear and precious and beautiful.
Praised be you, my Lord, through Brother Wind;
and through the air, cloudy and serene, and every kind of weather, through which you give sustenance to your creatures.
Praised be you, my Lord, through Sister Water, who is very useful and humble and precious and chaste.
Praised be you, my Lord, through Brother Fire, through whom you light the night:
and he is beautiful and playful and robust and strong.
Praised be you, my Lord, through our Sister, Mother Earth, who sustains and governs us and who produces various fruit with coloured flowers and herbs. Amen.
Love and peace in Christ,
The Rev. Amy