the Beginning of Lent
Dear St. Stephen’s church family,
Love and blessings on this Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the season of Lent. Some news for the week:
- Ash Wednesday service—Eucharist and the imposition of Ashes—tonight at 7 pm. (Thank you to all who made last night’s Shrove Tuesday pancake supper such a warm and delicious success!)
- Youth Group Friday night—we’re going to see the Call of the Wild!
- Lenten lunches begin this Sunday. Consider staying for lunch after church during lunch as a way to build a caring community and to help raise funds for various ministries and projects. Lunch is provided by donation by the host group (this week’s Lenten lunch is hosted by our Community Life group. Suggested donation of $5).
- Our AGM is Sunday, March 8th, after the 10:30 service. We are ordering lunch for all who attend the meeting. This Sunday is the last day to sign up for lunch.
- World Day of Prayer for Christian Unity—Friday, March 6th at 2 pm. We are hosting the service for our area this year. Come and pray with others around the neighbourhood and the world! The theme is Zimbabwe, and the liturgy has been written by women in Zimbabwe.
- When you are travelling or out shopping, remember to collect items for our Mother’s Day gift baskets. Toothpaste, shampoo and other items are needed to create care baskets for women and children living in shelters.
Parish Cycle of Prayer: This month we have been praying for all who are new to Saskatoon and to Canada. We pray especially for our English language conversation circle, for those who come to learn English and meet people. May we be a place of welcome, serving others as Jesus taught us.
We pray for Eleanor W and family and for Karen W and family.
The collect for Ash Wednesday:
Almighty and everlasting God,
you hate nothing you have made
and forgive the sins of all who are penitent:
Create and make in us new and contrite hearts,
that we, worthily lamenting our sins
and acknowledging our wretchedness,
may obtain of you, the God of all mercy,
perfect remission and forgiveness;
through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns
with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Sent with faith, hope and love,
The Rev. Amy <><